so i just recently moved to la. and by recently i mean i got here last night. i hope i like it here because i never want to move again.
i’ve moved quite a bit in my life, both around the country and overseas, but i’ve always been able to stuff everything into a couple suitcases or into my car. i’m not sure how i accumulate so much stuff over the last 3 years that i’ve been in utah but there was barely room for harlow in the car on the drive out here.
last night, sleeping on the floor of my almost empty little house, i thought of some tips that will hopefully make moving a lot less painful for you.
1. start early. like the day you decide to move. packing and sorting and cleaning will take longer than you think.
2. ask for help. you might think, “well, i’m just one person living in a tiny house with a tiny dog and i don’t have that much stuff.” you have more than you think you do. you will need help or at the very least someone to keep you motivated.
3. accept offers for help. when people offer to help you move or clean LET THEM. see above.
4. stick to your plan. i flipped flopped from driving a uhaul, to renting a pod, to making multiple trips in my car (it’s a 10 hr drive one way. this was a stupid plan. also this was the option i chose.) but however you decide to move your stuff determines how you’ll need to pack so pick one and go with it.
5. bags over boxes. when trying to squish everything into one smallish car, trash bags are the way to go for soft things like bedding and clothing. sure, you won’t feel super fancy when you’re dragging garbage bags of your stuff into your new place but you’ll definitely be able to fit more into tight spots.
6. be crazy organized. i think this is more important based on how much you’re moving so make lists, label boxes, pack in some sort of logical order (whatever works for you.) there was a point last week (around 2 am) when i was tired, frazzled and had lost my sharpie and just started piling things in boxes. whatever fit went it. half of my boxes went into storage and i’m pretty sure thats where all of my socks are.
7. don’t get a storage unit. (unless you really, really need to) for me it was just to delay making decisions. and now i have a storage unit in another state that i will have to deal with at some point.
8. show your appreciation. say thank you! to everyone – the people that helped you move, clean, babysat your dog (or kids), let you crash at their place while you were bedless, loaded your car, brought you snacks for the drive… it all deserves a big, fat thank you.
basically i am the worst at moving but maybe you can learn from my mistakes?? do you have any moving tips? horror stories?